Holiday Giveaway Winners Have Been Selected! Congratulations to:
Giveaway 2 Adopt Me-Piper Smith from WI
Giveaway 3 Lovable Characters-Janet Coffield from NC
Giveaway 4 Comic Strips-Debra Hays from LA
Giveaway 5 stories for Christ Eve-Amy Burbol from TX
Giveaway 6 Essentia Classics-Cassandra McCavy from MA
Giveaway 7 Pirates-Kristina Carter from NC
Giveaway 8 Creative Christmas-Nicole Lancasteer from AZ
Giveaway 9 Cultural Xmas-Adrianne Braun from MI
Giveaway 10 Fairy Tales-Silvia Rodriguez from IL
Giveaway 11 Christmas Spirit-Robin Marshall from MD
Giveaway 12 Peace on Earth-Laura Zeigler from IN
Giveaway 13 True Meaning-Nikki Watkins from FL
Giveaway 14 Handicrafted Christmas-Christy Hawkes from UT
Giveaway #12 gives kids ages 8 and up three special books for Christmas. Scroll down for the Rules for the Peace on Earth Children’s Book Giveaway.
Giveaway #1 – Happy Hanukkah! (Winner Already Chosen)
• Targeted Audience: Upper Elementary, Middle School (Ages 8-11)
• Genre: Fiction Middle Reader Chapter Book
• Author: Caroline Dderson
• Publisher: Groundwood Books
• Publication Date: September 16, 2014
• Binding: Paperback
• Dimensions: 5.5 x 8
• Printing: Black and White
• Length: 160 Pages
• Retail: $9.95
• ISBN: 978-1554984282
Can a Good Deed Make up for a Dog’s Bad Behavior?
June Bug, Nicola’s dog, is nothing but trouble. She steals the neighbor’s turkey, pulls down the Christmas tree and destroys Mom’s almost-finished giant crossword. No one but Nicola wants to keep that dog around. One day Nicola and June Bug spot Shady Oaks, a new nursing home, and they decide to volunteer to be visitors to entertain the elderly residents. After all, that active little dog will surely cheer them up. Inside the new nursing home, they can use a hand decorating for Christmas and putting up a tree. Back at school, some new things are happening too. There’s a new fifth grade girl there named Lindsay, and she seems to bring out the worst in Nicola. But after Nicola’s mom forbids her to visit Shady Oaks alone, out of desperation, Nicola invites Lindsay to join her. While there they discover something terrible going on and if they can make this wrong right with the dog, maybe this good deed will make everyone change their minds about keeping June Bug. But first we must meet some angels.
Why You’ll Love This Book
Caroline Adderson keeps the story moving with terrific dialog and a lot of action. The reader is instantly smitten with the likable main character and feels like he or she is part of the story. Of course there are some angels in the story too, but you’ll have to read it to find out just who they are. The best aspect of this book is the message that the elderly must be treated with kindness and respect, and when they are not, they need our help to seek justice. A Simple Case of Angles is a heartwarming and feel-good tale perfect for middle readers at Christmas time.
About the Author
Caroline Adderson is the author of award-winning books for adults and young readers. She has been nominated for the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award, two Commonwealth Writers’ Prizes, the Giller Prize, the Governor General’s Award and the Rogers’ Trust Fiction Prize. Her children’s books include Jasper John Dooley, Left Behind (named a Best Children’s Book of 2013 by Kirkus Reviews), the picture book Norman, Speak! and her middle-grade novel, Middle of Nowhere, which won the Sheila A. Egoff Children’s Literature Prize and was shortlisted for the Canadian Library Association Book of the Year for Children Award. She lives in Vancouver, British Columbia, with her husband, the filmmaker Bruce Sweeney, their son and their dog.
• Targeted Audience: Upper Elementary, Middle School (Ages 8-12)
• Genre: Historical Fiction Picture Book
• Author/Illustrator: John Hendrix
• Publisher: Abrams Books for Young Readers
• Publication Date: October 7, 2014
• Binding: Hard Cover
• Dimensions:11.5 x 10
• Printing: Full Color
• Length: 40 Pages
• Retail: $15.99
• ISBN: 978-1419711756
“Why can’t we just go home – and have peace?”
Peace During War
Why You’ll Love This Story
Shooting at the Stars: is such a powerful and moving story, it will bring you to tears. John Hendrix weaves facts and fiction into the storyline to bring it to life, along with his beautiful watercolor and ink paintings. Some are of the letters the British soldier wrote to his mother back home. In the back of the book is a glossary and a poignant author’s note explaining the historical facts of the Truce of 1914. The book reminds us that no matter who the enemy may be, we’re all humans, we all experience the same emotions and peace is so much better than war. There’s even an old photograph from the actual Truce of 1914. This is one of the most touching picture books I’ve ever read, and I highly recommend it for middle readers.
About the Author/Illustrator
• Targeted Audience: Lover & Upper Elementary (Ages 6-10)
• Genre: Children’s Activity Book
• Publisher: Barron’s Educational Books
• Publication Date: October 1, 2014
• Binding: Paperback
• Dimensions:11.5.5 x 8.5
• Printing: Full Color
• Length: 96 Pages
• Retail: $7.99
• ISBN: 978-1438005171
“Santa Claus is on his way, and reindeer pull his toy-filled sleigh. To find out more, you’ll need to look inside the pages of this book.”
The Everything Christmas Activity Book
This pocket-sized activity book may be portable, but it’s HUGE in content. Draw, craft with beautiful papers and stickers in the book, spot the differences between pictures, connect the dots, bake cookies with Mrs Claus, Make 3D Christmas cards and so much more. The back card stock cover opens up into a two-sided, 3 panel spread for placing stickers too. There’s a whole lot going on here, and kids will love all these activities at home or on the road. Barron’s Christmas Activity Books just can’t be beat!
Enter for a Chance to Win All Three Peace on Earth Titles on this Post and Be on the Lookout for Many More Holiday Children’s Book Giveaways All Week Long
- Enter the giveaway by Liking our Facebook Page (if you haven’t already) and sending us an email to smartbooks (at) comcast.net with your name and mailing address. In the subject line of the email write Peace on Earth Giveaway. We will not share your email or address or use it for any other purpose than this giveaway. PLEASE NOTE: If you do not include your mailing address in your email your entry will be discarded. (We only require addresses so books can be mailed quickly and in the past we have found it difficult to contact winners to obtain their mailing addresses.)
- You may enter any or all of our 14 Colossal Holiday Children’s Book Giveaways but no person will be eligible to win more than one giveaway this week – we’d like to spread the cheer to as many readers as possible.
- Optional: You will receive one extra entry for leaving a valid comment on this post on this website. Tell me about your favorite Christmas gift you received as a child.
- Optional: You will receive two extra entries for following me on Twitter.
- Optional: You will receive FIVE extra entries for sharing this giveaway from our Facebook Page. Go to the Facebook page and from there, click share on the link to this giveaway. If you share it from your own Facebook status and not from the Smart Book Facebook Page, I will not know about it, so it will not count.
- There will be one winner for this three-book giveaway selected at random, residing in the USA. No books will be mailed outside the USA.
- This giveaway starts on Saturday, December 12, 2014 and ends on Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at 5 pm.
- The winner will be notified via email on Wednesday, December 17, 2014.
- Books will be mailed by Thursday, December 18,, 2014.
- Follow us on our Facebook Page to learn about more giveaways and read reviews and interviews.